September 21, 2011

10 Helpful Tips for Newbie Back Pain Suffers

As far back as I can remember I was destined to have a troublesome back.  Ann Landers.  She was an icon for her column in the newspaper.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ask_Ann_Landers
In 1983, a person wrote in sharing their debilitating back history and here is Ann's response http://www.newspaperarchive.com/SiteMap/FreePdfPreview.aspx?img=105550777.  My mother read the ladies column faithfully and carried out this test on me.  I was just days away from my 13th birthday.

It seemed I did have the one shoulder lower than the other, so from our small rural community we travel to a hospital with a doctor who drew marker dots of blue on the bumps on my spine.  I was instructed to do a number of exercises and if I didn't do them I would be in a wheelchair by the time I was 25.

I did the exercises for a time and eventually got lazy and no one was making, so that was that.

I've always had terrible, weak posture.  My line of work doesn't help.  Anyone who is confined to a chair at a desk in front of a computer all day has to understand that it is painful on one's back, neck, arms, hips, eyes, legs and head.

My love affair with the chiropractor began in 1996 and has continued on and off since.   Do adjustments help?  Yes, but for me they are short lived.  I can only afford to go once or twice per week.  Massage helps somewhat, but again only momentarily because I'm right back in that work chair within 12 hours.  Useful spine resource http://www.spine-health.com/.
  1. Sitting puts 300 psi of pressure on your spine as standing is only 17 psi.
  2. Mobility is key. 
  3. Stretching really does help.
  4. Strengthening core muscles really is helpful.
  5. Heating pad feels good.
  6. Medications are useful.
  7. Rest is vital.
  8. Regular bowel movements are crucial to back pain suffers.
  9. Patience.
  10. Chronic pain is very real.
I'm not in a wheelchair and my spines curvature is very slight; not categorically scoliosis.  Simply, in my early twenties my body began to hurt.  Little more in my thirties.  Wham!  Forty.  The word is that 40 is the new 30 - malarkey!
Tyla

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weigh in. What's your opinion? Start a dialogue. Speak and I'll listen.

The Keyhole to My Mind's Closet

The Keyhole to My Mind's Closet
Blogging = cleaning = healing.

Feed